The Brain Hemorrhage Shot Recipe is a good one to know for a spooky Halloween party or anytime you’re looking to impress your guests.
When milk or cream based liqueurs such as Bailey’s Irish Cream or Amarula Cream come into contact with an acidic liquid, such as another type alcohol, they curdle and create eerie patterns that look like brains.
If you use Peach or Butterscotch Schnapps as your base alcohol then your shot will look like a brain floating in formaldehyde – perfect for your zombie or mad scientist guests. For an added effect try creating one of these Halloween shots in a test tube shot glass.
While the Brain Hemorrhage shot recipe may not be the thing for those with texture issues, it certainly does create an awesome looking shot.
Things to Know About Making a Brain Haemorrhage Shot
- Typically the alcohol with the higher alcoholic content will float. In this case, Bailey’s Irish Cream has an alcohol content of 17% and Peach or Butterscotch Schnapps have an alcoholic content of around 20 or 21%. Although the Schnapps has a higher alcohol content it is close enough to the Irish Cream so you can carefully layer the Bailey’s on top. If you were to try this with Cointreau (40%) the Bailey’s would go straight to the bottom no matter how carefully you try to layer it.
- You must carefully layer the Bailey’s on top of the Schnapps. The easiest way to do this is to pour it slowly over the back of a spoon.
- The Grenadine plays an important role in forming the brain. Not only does the Grenadine look like blood, it helps to form the brain. By carefully dropping the grenadine through the Bailey’s layer you cause the Bailey’s to fall through into the Schnapps layer and curdle into a brain.
The Brain Hemorrhage Shot Recipe
- 1 oz Peach or Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 tsp Bailey's Irish Cream Liqueur
- Drops of Grenadine syrup
- Pour the schnapps into your shot glass.
- Carefully layer the Bailey's on top. You may want to do this over the back of a spoon.
- Using a dropper or a straw drop the Grenadine through the Bailey's layer one drop at a time to help form the brain. Add as much 'blood' as you think the shot needs to create your desired effect.
Add a few drops of Blue Curacao to transform your brain hemorrhage into an alien brain hemorrhage.
See How to Make a Brain Hemorrhage Shot
Variations for the Brain Hemorrhage Shot
Although the Brain Hemorrhage shot is typically made with Baileys Irish Cream liqueur and Peach or Butterscotch Schnapps, you can mix it up and try using Amarula Cream liqueur and Strawberry Schnapps.
You can turn your Brain Haemorrhage shot into an Alien Brain Hemorrhage by adding a few drops of Blue Curacao to create alien blood.
You could also make another version of the brain cocktail with 1/2 oz Midori melon liqueur, 1/2 oz Sambuca, 1 tsp Bailey’s and a few drops of grenadine.
Want to take this to a whole new level? Try making Brain Hemorrhage Jell-O Shooters.
Featured Image: Brain Hemorrhage Shot Recipe by Isle of Halloween