These chocolate rice krispie treats are so easy to make and are perfect for Halloween. They’re gooey, rich and delicious! I started off with the original recipe off the back of the Rice Krispies box and then tweaked it to make them chocolatey and extra gooey.
First thing you’ll want to do is grease a baking dish and set it aside. If you want twenty-four regular sized squares then go with the 13″ x 9″ baking dish. If you like thicker squares like the ones in the photo above, then use an 8″ x 8″ dish. That will give you nine squares that measure approximately 2″ x 2″ x 1″.
Melt your butter in a medium pot over medium-low heat. It may take a little longer but it’s better to melt the ingredients slowly so they don’t burn. Once your butter is melted add the vanilla extract and the marshmallows. I prefer to use mini marshmallows because they melt faster.
Keep stirring and as the marshmallows get gooey add the milk. You can use regular milk or any vegan milk. I used rice milk and they tasted fantastic.
Add in your cocoa powder. The cocoa powder you use makes a difference so make sure you’re using a good one. My favorite is Costco’s Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa, it’s super rich and yummy.
When everything is combined and well mixed turn off the heat and add the rice krispies. Mix well and pour into the greased baking dish. Press down as well as you can. If you grease your hands first it helps keep the mixture from sticking to you.
For decoration make sure you have some colorful Halloween sprinkles on hand. As you can see I’ve used pumpkins and orange and yellow sprinkles but there are so many awesome Halloween themed sprinkled you can choose from. I had to rein myself in and not buy all of these but I’ve seen ghosts, eyeballs, skulls, bats, tombstones, spiders and bone sprinkles all in gorgeous colors.
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 2 tbsp milk (or vegan substitute)
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Halloween Sprinkles
- Grease an 13" x 9" baking dish and set aside**
- Heat the butter in a medium sized pot over medium-low heat. It's better to melt the ingredients slowly so they don't burn.
- When the butter is melted add the vanilla extract and the mini marshmallows. Keep stirring to ensure they don't stick to the bottom.
- When the marshmallows are becoming gooey add the milk and the cocoa powder. Keep stirring until the marshmallows are completely melted and all the ingredients are completely mixed in.
- Turn off the heat and add the rice krispies. Stir until well mixed.
- Add the rice krispie mixture to the greased baking dish and press down. Tip: If you grease your hands the rice krispies won't stick to them as you're pressing the mixture down.
- Add your Halloween sprinkles. Wait until the chocolate rice krispie treats are cool and then cut into 2" squares.
If you're making ahead for a party then you can store the treats in an air tight container for up to two days. For best results use a container that doesn't have too much extra space once filled.